Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Quick Trip To NC

 When I found out that my nephew, Michael, was graduating...I knew I couldn't miss it. I was there when that child was born, I wasn't about to miss this huge milestone!! So even though I had chemo on the Monday before his event, I went ahead and booked a plane home. My home. North Carolina. Yep. the home that as a kid couldn't wait to get out of, runs to every chance I get.
My doctor gave me one of those Michelle-Edwards-has-cancer-letters to use at the airport, you know so I could get from gate to gate on one of those little glorified golf carts and wheelchairs from here to there, but I refused to use it. Stubborn much? Why yes, yes I am. I did not show anyone my little letter, but kept it close just in case. Actually the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport is quite easy to navigate...they even have those fast walking track things that helped me a lot...so while I watched other people whiz by me, much like what I would have been doing 2 years ago, I paced myself and made it to each gate at both airports without a hitch. My disease did not win that day...cancer 0-stubborn streak-1.
My sister picked me up at the airport and the adventure didn't stop until I left.
If you are with me on Instagram, you saw some more detailed pictures, but being home, with my family, near the ocean makes my heart sing.
The water is a little too cold still but the weather was wonderful.  
 We headed to Greenville to watch our dear Michael graduate. Here is my version of "Where's Waldo Michael"  :) Here's a hint: he's the only one in a bow tie! Love it!
Of course there was a little party to celebrate too
Proud Momma (my sister) and Michael.

My sister and I kissing the graduate.

Michael, I know you don't read my blog, but my heart is just bursting with pride. I am so proud of the man you have become and so honored to have witnessed you grow up and accomplish SO much already. I can't wait to see what the future brings. You are an amazing person and you inspire me! -Love Always Shell.

I have chemo on Monday (seems like I'm always saying that), so I probably won't be online again for a while. Summer is starting, the weather is heating up and it's my favorite time of year!  This short hair is going to be great during the summer-ha! Talk to you soon! 
If you haven't already, look me up on Instagram or Facebook, I'd love to see you there.

2011-12-013

4 comments:

  1. North Carolina looks beautiful. I have never been. So happy for you that you got to spend time with your family. Congratulations on showing Cancer whos boss at the airport.
    Hang tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about NC. I'm from there, too, and we're moving back as soon as my husband retires in June. Yea! Hang in there with your chemo. I think about you often. Maybe it's the Southern thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a North Carolinian. I've lived here all my life. I moved away from Lumberton, my hometown to the Capital City a few years ago. I love being a Tarheel. How ironic- our oldest son Michael will be graduating from High School in a few weeks, and will be attending ECU in the fall. Congrats to your nephew and congrats to YOU~

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister lives in NC she went to Campbell and never came home. Congrats to you nephew and sister. I love the short hair. I hope you have a wonderful summer. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle