Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Mantle

Happy Independence Day! I hope everyone is having a fantastic holiday weekend! Since the kiddies were at the Grands, I was doing some much needed cleaning and a little foo-fooing too, usually one follows the other, doesn't it? :)



I love a good mantlescape, so I hit there first. I like to change mine seasonally and since it's officially summer, seashells and flowers were the main players. With the new suzani curtain panels, all kinds of different decorating opportunities have arisen arise come up. I am able to use a lot of different colors and textures, which I am really loving.







The mirror never changes...I keep thinking that I am going to do some abstract art and hang over the mantle in lieu of the mirror, but I really like the black and white contrast, you probably know this from seeing the kitchen.









For an asymmetrical mantle, I like using two good size "anchors" on each end. I love using florals on one side and typically candle holders on the other. That's kinda the formula I stick with. The living room is not big at all, but because of the vaulted ceilings, I can go pretty tall, big and chunky. I like using over sized objects and then fill in around them.




I also like leaning one or two pieces of artwork or pictures too, here I used just one and a collection of starfish and shells







At first, I did a floral arrangement with primarily orchids, but it was looking a little too tropical than I wanted so I went out in search of some lillies. I found them in beautiful rusty orange, however, they look a little more red in the photos. They are blooming everywhere in nature, so they were exactly what I wanted.






The original with just orchids, I like both of them, but I wanted lillies!






I've tried using that vase a trillion times before the curtains, but with them, now I can use a lot of earthy textures on the mantle that just didn't seem right before.





Some other details going on around the room....everything here thrifted (ginger jars spray painted, check out how they looked before HERE :) I love that little dish.



I found a fantastic bowl at TJ Maxx this weekend (I love a good bowl). This bowl could work everywhere! I rarely find orange accessories, so when I do I snag them up. Right now, because Logan is on a building kick, I filled it with wooden blocks.





This is the bowl I found thrifting a couple of weekends ago, I filled it with various shell balls. I told you I love a good bowl!








Thanks for stopping by, I hope you are inspired to create a summer mantlescape!





Need more ideas? Take a peek at the Pre-Spring and Spring mantlescapes. Click HERE and HERE.







The Shabby Nest








Visit thecsiproject.com













6 comments:

  1. Happy 4th of July and look at your beautiful mantle! I love it and the floral arrangement you made is so pretty!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Michelle-
    I always love seeing photos of your home. I love the way you mix the color pops in your neutral color scheme. It looks so inviting, modern,and fresh.

    My best-Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love your mantle. The actual mantle itself. And those curtains are to die for. I personally loved the orchids but once my lilies bloom, maybe I'll have a newfound love or them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flower arrangement on your mantel! That bowl from Tj Maxx is sooo cute! I LOVE that store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the black mirror and the bowl full of shell balls is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle