Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Glitter Bayleaf Ornament

Hi and welcome to part 3 of my ornament series! This is another simple technique, but the final result is so great looking. I'm loving the handmade appeal that these ornaments are lending to the Christmas tree, I hope you find time to make some too.

Here is what you'll need:
Cardboard
Glitter leaf pick
Glue gun
Narrow ribbon
Burnt Umber craft paint
Silver glitter/Mod Podge (Optional)




Cut a circle from any cardboard, it can be a cereal box, pizza box, any sturdy cardboard. I used a pizza box and cut a 6 inch circle and then cut the center out, creating a 1 inch ring. Paint it with burnt umber, of course you can paint it any color, you just want the writing on the card board to go away.

Cut each leaf off of the glitter pick, you can usually find these at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I think any shape leaf will work, I just liked the shape of this bay leaf. If you've got some old picks that you are not using anymore, this is a great way to repurpose them.
Begin gluing on each leaf, one by one, working backwards. It makes it a lot easier to glue if you are gluing on top of each leaf, instead of under.
You can see it better in this picture:
Once you've got all the leaves glued on, create a hanger with narrow ribbon and it's ready to hang! You might notice that the glitter is a little different in my finished ornament. I 'highlighted' the ornament with additional glitter, just to create some depth and tone down the super bright silver glitter that the original leaves had. Of course this is optional.
I think these would look great on a package too.



Thanks for stopping by, I hope you are inspired!


The DIY Show Off

UndertheTableandDreaming
12 giveaways



7 comments:

  1. neat idea! Love how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I just love all silvery-sparkly things for the holiday season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. So simple yet elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this one, too!!! the acorn is still my fave, but this is spectacular as well! you are on a brown and gold glitter roll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like this...I can picture an entire tree with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful idea..I applied many of ur ideas in my household and got so many appriciation..
    Can u please help me out in making a flower pot more beautiful by artificial leaves and flowers...?
    countertop restoration toronto

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle